Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Anticipated Books for the Second Half of 2017




Top Ten Anticipated Books for the Second Half of 2017

I don’t usually do these kinds of things, mostly because between the two libraries I’m part of neither of them have their act together when it comes to getting new releases. So, even though these books come out in the next few months, I probably won’t lay eyes on them for the next year, maybe even two. Unless I buy them. But, *snort of derision,* who has the money to do that? Not me... I’m going to make this post anyway, because for some reason I like torturing myself with excitement for books that will never show up. So, here they are in order of when they come out. Are you proud of me? I’m being so organized for once.

Flames in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh


              I loved the Wrath and the Dawn, also by Renee Ahdieh. This is really saying something because, while it’s primarily a Scheherazade retelling, the book is basically a romance. And I loved it...?! After that surprise, I’m willing to try anything this lady writes. Though I have to admit, I’m a little wary of the plot. The blurb promises a female samurai disguised as a boy to track some evil people down. But then it ends with the "and then she finds love!" Line. It makes me die a little inside. But, what the heck, I’m going to give it a shot. Pleas don’t let me down Ahdieh.

Note from the Editor: I read the Wrath and the Dawn. It was totally awesome, but I also like some romance novels. I like them when the romance is wrapped up with good character and/or dragons.


Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab


              It’s the sequel to Savage Song, which I also inexplicably loved. I am not musically talented, my friends, but I still enjoyed the book; which is about a monster who eats people by playing a violin. Also, he has an adorable cat who loves him. I liked that cat. And, the main heroine is called Kate. I’m 80% sure that her full name was Katherine, but who knows because This Savage Song was a very long time ago. So, of course I like her. After a Darker Shade of Magic, and all the rest of the books, I would pick up anything by Schwab because she’s brilliant.

White Sand Volume 2 by Brandon Sanderson


              The author is Brandon Sanderson. Do I really have to say anything else? My biggest complaint so far is that it’s a short story; well, it’s a really long short story. Does anyone expect Sanderson to be brief anymore? I read the first one in his Cosmere Collection, which I’m still trying to finish. Mostly because I haven’t decided if I should review it or not. How exactly do you review a collection of short stories anyway? "well I liked the first one but the second one was a bit dull and that one in the middle went on for way too long etc. Etc." *yawn*

Wonder Women by Leigh Bardugo


              Mostly, I just like Leigh Bardugo. I’ve never really been a DC fan, though even I have to admit that the Wonder Women movie looks pretty cool, but I do like superhero books. Mostly because I don’t have the patience for comics. But, how can you go wrong with an awesome warrior lady surrounded by Greek mythology? Now that I think about it, probably by saddling her with a small teenage sidekick like the Black Widow books. Oh boy.

The Tiger’s Watch by Julia Ember


              I’m sorry, there’s a giant tiger in this one. And that is the only reason I want to read this book. Apparently it focuses on a spy who falls in love with the enemy general, which is cool and all. But, I’m more interested in the bonded tiger who gives zero cares about the blossoming romance and just keeps trying to eat people. I’m obviously here for the tiger.

Note From the Editor: Ahh! A deadly tiger! So cute!


One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake


              Maybe something will actually happen in this one... Okay, sorry, I actually enjoyed a good bit of Three Dark Crowns; but, I did feel massively put out when the ending happened and I was basically right back where I started. I also expected a bit more to happen besides a lot of half-baked romances and a contrived love triangle. Still, I’m willing to give it a second chance. Let’s just hope I haven’t made a terrible mistake.

Before She Ignites by Jodi Meadows


              I like Jodi Meadows. She was one of the first people to acknowledge my existence on twitter... which I still don’t know how to use halp. I didn’t even know she had a new book coming out but after reading the blurb. But, I am sold! Apparently, it’s about a girl who is supposed to be perfect, but isn’t. She has some anxiety, I think, and she’s more interested in dragons than her duties as a Hopebearer. Don’t ask me what that is,  because I don’t know.

Note From the Editor: Hopebearer does sound cool, who needs to know what it is. Maybe I'll get my hands on this one.

The Empty Grave by Jonathan Stroud


              There’s another Lockwood and Co. book! Excuse me while I do a happy dance. I can’t wait to get back to that world! And the characters! And the constant dry humor! Basically, these books are the best ghost stories to exist ever, because they’re more focused on the mystery than the frights. But, have no fear the frights are there and supremely terrifying. And, it seems like we’re finally getting into the conspiracy theory/possible-murder plot that the books have been dangling in front of me for forever! Basically, one of the ghost hunting companies is totally corrupt and it’s time for Lockwood and Co. to expose them! Or more likely blow them up, that’s how it usually works.

Note from the Editor: Blow it up! Boom? BOOM!


All The Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater


              I don’t know what this book is about. Does Maggie Stiefvater have some sort of weird deal with Rumpelstiltskin? "Your books will always be gorgeous and amazing and enjoyable but your blurbs aren’t allowed to make sense at all." Seems legit.



But, what the heck! The author is Maggie Stiefvater, you can’t really go wrong with her. 

The Last Magician by Lisa Maxwell


              Full confession, this one is actually coming out in July, but I wanted to talk about it last because it’s the one I know the least about, at least compared to how excited I am about it. It’s about modern magicians! Which is a genre I’m always game to try. And, it’s set in New York with a magic thief. I am so sold! Too bad I’ll probably have to order it.


Note from the Editor: Dude, I'm excited about this one too! I'm usually more of a high fantasy kind of person, but modern mages sound interesting too. I especially like that it is set in New York.

Thanks for putting up with my confused ramblings. And thanks again to the ladies at the Broke and the Bookish for starting Top Ten Tuesdays you can check them out here if you're interested.

Comments

Popular Posts