Half-Price Book Haul


Hallo! 
In case you didn’t notice. I ran off on a trip last week. And I was sad that I had no internet for the whole week. 


But you know what I wasn’t sad about! I was visiting a place that has the BEST bookstore in the world. Half-Price Books. For those of you who are unlucky enough to live somewhere without this chain of bookstores (me sadly) Half-Price Books is a used bookstore with some of the cheapest book I’ve ever seen. Paper back books that are less than few years old are four dollars or less sometimes! I’ve gotten books for pennies on the dollar here and I love it. It’s a great opportunity to snatch up books that i just want to own rather than have to read for blogging reasons. So, in no particular order, here’s my book hauls from my (multiple) trips to Half-Price Books.

The Book of Enchantments by Patricia C. Wrede


              It’s basically a book of short stories about unconventional magic and wry humor.  There’s even a short story featuring Cimorene, Mendenbar and Daystar (for goodness sakes, I couldn’t take his name seriously when I read it the first time and I’m not taking it seriously now). I’m not sure if I’ll review it so much as have a short little thing about each short story. Honestly, one of my favorite parts was the ‘notes form the author’ at the end where she talked about where each story had begun.

A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn


              If you’ve spent any significant time on this blog you know that I’m a sucker for the Victorian time period. A Curious Beginning promises an ongoing mystery series (a la Sherlock Holmes I guess) about a Victorian Lepidopterists and her many adventures. Lepidopterists study butterflies apparently. Good to know. Here’s hoping I get lucky and have another series to keep up with.

Mistborn, The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson


(I seriously love this picture)

              Obviously, I’ve already read these. But I’ve wanted to own them since I read them and there was no way I was going to turn down the price tag. These books are huge and they’re three dollars a piece! Can’t get much better than that! Well, I’m a bit sad that the covers have those weird people on there that are halfway between real life and drawn.


 But my sister (who actually got them since she hasn’t read them yet) didn’t seem to mind to much.

The Alchemist of Souls by Anne Lyle


              Another book with a creepy real life man on the cover who apparently enjoys staring into your soul.


 Still, this is another Victorian book but this time there might be a bit of steampunk thrown in. also paranormal since there’s a bunch of native American gods running around. Also, Vikings for some reason. That’s a lot of stuff to throw into one book and this either going to be amazing or a jumbled hodgepodge of genres that don’t know how to play nice.

The Demon Awakens by R. A. Salvatore


              I used to love R. A. Salvatore! I still do of course but I mean, the only thing I read was Salvatore for a little while. Even though I’ve branched out now I still like Salvatore’s books in a guilty pleasure sort of way. They have this epic, and kind of silly, feeling to them. Like a D&D campaign full of nutjobs in book form. Complete with silly names and kick-butt backstories that sound a little too good to be true. The Demon Awakens sounds just like that (I’m pretty sure one of the characters is named ‘Pony’?!) and I am so ready for it.

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson


              Again, I’ve already read this. But dang it! it was three bucks and Elantris was awesome! Besides, now my sister can read the more wrist friendly version seeing as how it’s paper back. The hard copy one was as long as my forearm if I recall correctly. I wonder sometimes if Sanderson’s books encourage people to buy Kindles.

The Grand Tour by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer


              I’m particularly excited about this one! These two wrote three books together by writing letters in character back and forth with each other. Which is brilliant and I want to do it. My sister and I are planning on doing it so might have to set up a snippits post or something. Anyways. Of these three books I owned two of them. Unfortunately, it was the first and the third one. Oops. And that, my friends, is what happens when you ask for books for Christmas and fail to clarify which ones come first. Also, unfortunately my little sister got her hands on the book before me.



So those were the books I got during my trip. I hope you guys don’t mind my replacing Top Ten Tuesday with my own stuff again. Hopefully next week we’ll get back to our regularly scheduled top ten lists. 

Comments

Popular Posts