Search of the Moon King's Daughter: NOBODY told me this was a HISTORICAL FICTION!?

Search of the Moon King’s Daughter 
by
 Linda Holeman

Seriously look at that title. It doesn’t really scream historical fiction. I mean I thought I knew three things coming into this book. 
(A) That it was Victorian 
(B) That it was some epic romp with the daughter of the KING of the MOON 
(C) There was a deaf character (who I figured was the protagonist because that blurb is a liar). 

Unfortunately the blurb was abysmal and I was woefully misinformed. Basically it’s called the moon king’s daughter because the main girl’s dad used to plant flowers that would bloom under the moonlight?! 


 It’s a search for her little brother (who is the aforementioned deaf character) because he was sold to chimney sweep as a literal slave. It was a super depressing historical fiction where everybody was mean and angry and nobody had one whit of humor. The plot was full of housework and money pinching and yes ma’am this and yes ma’am that. 
The characters were wonderful representations of cardboard cutouts
·        Emeline: is the main character and she is incredibly plain. Like she was nice but that was about it. I seriously have nothing else to say about her. You know those ridiculous things you’d do in school where you’d list out a characters good and bad traits and you usually had to write some essay comparing them. Yeah I would fail that assignment right now
·        Tommy: he’s the little brother and while he was super sweet in every scene he was in. problem was he comprised about 30-40 pages of a book that was a completely unnecessary 300. His drunk/drug addict mother sold him to a chimney sweep around the 100 mark and he was not be seen until the last 20 pages or so.
·        Thomas: he’s the love interest but I accidently forgot to care about him because he, like the rest of the characters, had about 0.2% of a personality.
·        Sukey: Yes that is her name I kid you not. Maybe if Sokka had showed up and waved his space sword around and shared some of his puns this book wouldn’t have been so terribly boring. She’s the longstanding maid at the house that Emeline works at while wandering the street looking for Tommy. She and I did not get along because of spoilers
In case I haven’t put you off yet here is a spoiler warning

This is where I complain lengthily about Sukey and other controversial things

So Sukey got pregnant with the child of some uppity lord she worked for. I guessed this from the beginning so the “big reveal” was not that much of a reveal. But then she decides that she’s going to up and ABORT the FREAKING KID! 

I just NO! No I do not agree with abortion okay.  It is not okay. Don’t head for the comment section okay I won’t be replying to any of it. I’m not arguing about this it just leaves a nasty feeling in my stomach. And my mouth. And my everywhere.

Look this is all I’m going to say about this topic and hopefully I will never have to speak of it again. Just do me a favor and look at it from my point of view for a sec. If aborting kids is really all fine and good then I haven’t done that much harm. But if it’s the other way around it’s the lives of CHILDREN on the line. I don’t know how people can expect me to not get fired up about that honestly?
Okay, okay I’m done. 

I’m going to go and hide now because I fully expect to get drawn and quartered for my opinion. I mean it’s the internet. What are you gonna do?
Spoilers over

So yeah this book is a liar and it and I are not friends. I don’t like historical fiction on a normal basis but there was just so many things that I didn’t like. I can’t believe this was a Beehive award nominee. Actually I can because I have no idea what that is. 

Comments

Popular Posts