Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson: TenSoon is back!

Shadows of Self 
by 
Brandon Sanderson


So there’s an assassin running around the city. Yep that’s a thing. Also, Wax is getting married. But I’m ignoring that because he is just a tiny bit stupid. Okay I give him a hard time but Steris is vaguely funny in this one. In a sort of ‘look-at-this-quirky-character’ kind of way. Sanderson even managed to slip in a good bit of political intrigue with a bit more finesse this time around. Meaning without making me want to crawl into a corner and sleep for an eon. 


(it’s okay Hero of Ages I still liked you despite all that).

Characters

Wax: We got some more Wax backstory! Gosh he’s such a dork. Or he was a dork. Basically, all his survival skills came from reading books about the roughs. Yeah, it’s a miracle he didn’t die in his first week there. In real time Wax is still awfully grumpy so somebody so young 
(Yes, he’s young. There are characters in this series who are virtually immortal. Wax just thinks he’s old and broken because he’s dramatic).


Wayne: Still an awesome character! And we got some of his backstory too! I didn’t realize how much of an age difference there was between them. In the flashback, Wayne was basically a teenager. And a sarcastic as heck teenager to boot. I knew there was a reason I liked him.

Marasi: she’s much more used to being in near death situations nowadays. Though I kind of missed her spitting out statistics when she got nervous (cutest coping mechanism ever).  In-between the last book and this one she became a police officer! 


TenSoon: Y’all remember the ancient monster who was inhabiting the body of an adorable little doggie. He’s back! And now he’s a slightly scarier, older, more sarcastic doggie. Best day ever!

Likes

The bad guy is the best yet! Don’t get me wrong! Sanderson’s bad guys have always been perfectly adequate (in fact we usually have a bit more insight into their mind than most fantasy novels) but I believe this was his first stab at a sympathetic villain. At least in the mist born series I don’t know about anything else he’s written.

Guess what guys I was totally surprised by another twist: don’t worry I’m not going to spoil it.


 I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Brandon Sanderson is the only one who has consistently surprised me in years! And I should probably leave it at that . . . I can only praise somebody so much before it gets annoying.

It’s basically crime noir but with magic! I actually really like mysteries! 
But in the words of Joss Whedon 
'I need spaceships or I get cranky’. 

such intelligence

Same goes for magic! 
(shh I totally didn’t want to awkwardly shoe horn in a quote from Whedon it’s fine).

Two cheers for Marasi’s development: Okay I did miss her stammering recitation of facts but Sanderson definitely made up for it in confidence. As I predicted she developed a lot like Elend in the Hero of Ages. She got more ‘screentime’ and better control and appreciation for her powers. I think she’s been spending to much time around Wax though, 


she’s gotten sassier. And more prone to near death experiences.

Dislikes

Come on Sanderson that’s not how girls think: at least that’s not how I think . . . much as I appreciate Sanderson creating a character who is ‘strong’ and likes traditionally feminine things like skirts and makeup. I’m going to repeat that I really, really like Marasi but the inner dialogue with her justifying her love of feminine things was a bit 


. . . 
ham-handed?  

I mean I’m a girl and I like to wear skirts and I don’t know paint my nails (sorry makeup but I am far too intimidated by you) but I’ve never had inner debate about why I like those things? I would be more annoyed by this if I could have come up with a more natural way for Marasi’s feelings to come out. Oh well.


Oh look it’s the conclusion . . . what other conclusion will end a Brandon Sanderson review. Where’s the next one I need it now or last week preferably please and thank you. 



Comments

Popular Posts