Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most



Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most

              Because why else would I start a book blog? Plus, the Top Ten Tuesdays lady is on hiatus so I got to pick whatever Top Ten Tuesday I wanted. *Small yay followed by crushing indecision* What? There’s at least a hundred different options! (full disclosure I almost grabbed a set of dice and just rolled with it)


Rangers Apprentice by John Flanagen


yeah, the settings not the most unique and maybe the villains could use a tad more personality but so what? Just because a book isn’t perfect doesn’t mean it can’t still be hilarious! Not to mention it has one of the best uses of a mentor character that I’ve probably every seen. Basically if the mentor doesn’t die (which is often)


they fade off into the background so that the hero can go be, well, heroic. But we all know that Halt is too cool for that.

Lockwood and Co. Jonathan Stroud


 Because it is literally the only readable YA ghost story. This is the only series that has managed to both scare me and make me like the characters. 


Which is two better than every other YA horror I’ve read in recent months. For that alone I’d recommend it but those reasons don’t even begin to cover the awesome world that Stroud has created.

Anything by Brandon Sanderson


              I think I’ve crossed some sort of line with Brandon Sanderson’s books. On a scale of ‘liked it’ to ‘total raving lunatic’ what come after completely obsessed? Probably total raving lunatic. That’s not going to stop me from recommending it though! If you want to learn how to use clichés without them actually being cliché this is the book you should read.


This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab


 Hey it got me interested in V. E. Schwab or whatever she calls herself. It should work for somebody else as well. Plus, I can’t recommend anything else of hers because I can’t find any of it. I’m just going to have to buy it aren’t I.


The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede


              We all know that there are rules around fairytales. If you’re the third son and your older brothers have tried and failed at something you’re bound to succeed. Be polite to creepy begger women because they’re probably fairies in disguise and no matter what! Follow the directions of you guide or you’ll end up under some sort of enchantment. 


In the enchanted forest chronicles all these rules do exist it’s just that the people in the world are aware of them. Now if that doesn’t interest you I don’t know what else will.

Anything by Derek Landy


              Everything he writes is darkly hilarious. Seriously he’s kind of got a system going on here. The world is ending and theres a horrific amount of murder going on. But the characters are still cracking jokes every five seconds.


 It’s actually a really interesting juxtaposition seeing as how most books have the characters and the atmosphere reflecting off each other (e. x. raining while character is sad) not so with Derek Landy.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo


              Because everybody needs to read at least one heist book. Even if the characters are despicable human beings. Besides they have enough problems between them to sink the titanic. Again.


The Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill


              I am legitimately ashamed that I haven’t talked about this book in so long. 


It is a criminally under read book with an amazing cast of characters that makes me cry every single time. It’s about war and death and insurmountable odds and growing up too quickly and feeling like you’re too old and too young at the same time and it’s beautiful. It’s huge too. But it’s worth it.

Larklight by Philip Reeve



              Was recommended to me so I guess the world has come full circle. It’s kind of like doctor who and Enchanted Forest Chronicles smashed together. 


With steam-punkish space railroads and a space station that looks more like a mansion and unfailingly polite heroes everything is kind of a ginormous, hilarious and awesome mess. Just take my word for it it’s great. 

Thanks for putting up with my confused ramblings. And thanks again to the ladies at the Broke and the Bookish for starting Top Ten Tuesdays you can check them out here if you're interested. 

Comments

Popular Posts