Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books I Liked More Than I Thought I Would



Ten Books I Liked More Than I Thought I Would

Reckless by Cornelia Funke


              I literally picked this book up because I was disappointed in my library’s selection. 


The cover was pretty and I vaguely remembered that Cornelia Funke was a decent writer. Turns out it was actually really cool. How could you go wrong with super dark fairytales after all.  

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson


              This one had superheroes? Yep. Superheroes and Brandon Sanderson that’s all I knew going into Steelheart. Turns out is was fabulous (what else could you expect from Brandon Sanderson). Awesome characters, unexpected plot twist and super cool magic systems. Does it actually count as a magic system if they’re technically superheroes? I mean if it’s not a Doctor Strange kind of superhero.


Shutter by Courtney Alameda


              Clarification. I didn’t like this book . . . technically. Sometime around October I decided I’d get into the world of YA horror that gets so popular around Halloween. It was a terrible idea. Are the protagonists in YA horror extra stupid or is it just me? Because they never seem to act with any forethought or common sense whatsoever. 


Shutter was one of the few that was semi interesting and didn’t completely destroy my brain. Still broke it a little bit though.

The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater


              I wasn’t interested in these books at all when I first started hearing about them. They kind of straddle the line between contemporary and fantasy and I am far from a contemporary fan. Against my better judgement, I picked up the first book anyway. And was totally awed. 


they’re good guys. Sure, they’re primarily character driven so the plot was a little . . . oddly paced. But it was still fabulous.

Lockwood and Co. by Jonathan Stroud


              I already explained about my problems with YA horror. I picked up Lockwood and Co. on a whim thinking it would just be a mildly interested ghost story. Welp, I was wrong. 


And now I’m comically obsessed with these books.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo


              What? Everybody said that the characters were terrible people. Admittedly I don’t usually go for characters like that but Bardugo made me care about a bunch of murderers and criminals. Not only did I like them but I’m actually impressed by the characters depth and uniqueness.

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab


              The very first book I ever read by Victoria Schwab so I didn’t know what I was getting into. As promised Schwab was awesome! And now my only regret is that between two libraries neither of them have all her books.


Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers


              This was one of the very first books I reviewed!  I stand by what I said last time (even if it was probably badly explained) Grave Mercy was like a bunch of tiny Black Widows running around. 


I mean it was about a bunch of lady assassins who were all the daughters of death. Kind of like Percy Jackson and Assassin’s Creed stuck together.

Rook by Sharon Cameron


              Y’all know how I’m always complaining about dystopias? Well here’s how you do it right. Time gets pushed back until the world has (kind of) gotten it’s crap together, where ancient technology like laptops and cellphones are legends. 


Not to mention adding in characters with an actual sense of humor. That could help too.  

Larklight by Phillip Reeve



              Larklight was recommended to me years ago and I’m kind of ashamed that I forgot about it. This book doesn’t get enough credit! It’s got an amazing world and brilliant writing! These books are fabulous and I need the third one. Come on library Mothstorm just pick it up!

Thanks for putting up with my confused ramblings. And thanks again to the ladies at the Broke and the Bookish for starting Top Ten Tuesdays you can check them out here if you're interested. 

Comments

Popular Posts