Top Ten Books I'm Thankful that I Picked Back Up




Books I’m thankful that I actually finished/picked up (despite my better judgement)!

Or my lack of judgment.

Screaming Staircase by Johnathan Stroud


Yeah that book that I never shut up about . . . I actually DNF’d it the first time I picked it up. 


I’m actually not sure what made me pick it up again (boredom, a new cover, renewed interest take you pick) but when I did I was much more determined to finish it. And now here I am, waiting about for my library to find the decency to pick up the other books.

White Cat by Holly Black


Despite my rather rocky relationships with Black’s characters I am glad I stuck with White Cat and the rest of the Curseworker trilogy. Sure they may not be my all-time favorite books ever but they were definitely worth the time.


Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


What can I say I thought it wouldn’t be my thing? All I really knew about it was that a TON! Of people raved about it despite the fact that the largest complaint was a slow-ish plot.

Needless to say I was confused. Thankfully I was both confused and curious so . . . here I am.


The Hallow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle


            Like I said the story was kind of mediocre until Charm, the awesome magical snake, showed up. Honestly I was kind of bored. 


I had an entire pile of books that I was ‘supposed’ to be reading but in the end I’m glad I stuck with it.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylori

            My very first review was on this book. Maybe don’t look at it though, it’s probably bad. Anyway I picked this book up waaaaay before I even started thinking of starting a book blog. I put it down because honestly I could see the insta-love coming a mile away. 


Again it’s another one that I actually really enjoyed when I sat down and read it all the way through.

The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress


I’ve mentioned that I started this blog because I had begun to find reading boring. It just got really hard to actually get all the way through a book because I was just so bored most of the time. 

Well sort of

This book unfortunately was dropped during the above phase. I’m very glad that I went back and picked it up again because I found the steampunk-lady-superheroes a hilarious genre.

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer


Well Cinderella was a cyborg! I was the kid who watched Cinderella obsessively as a kid! It wasn’t really a good mix. Anyway my friends, and then my sister, read them and declared them amazing. 


So I was legally obligated to pick it up.

The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan


            Yeah I didn’t want to read this one either. It just didn’t have that much appeal to me. I considered myself a bit of a mythology expert (I was good but . . . no expert I was just a prat) 


and I didn’t like the idea of some strange author throwing my beloved myths into modern day New York. Then one of my friends let me (forced me to) borrow her copies along with subtle threats of death. I read them, I loved them, she was right.

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh


            This one mostly goes out to all the lovely bloggers and the peoples on Goodreads who raved about this book. Honestly I didn’t even know it was a retelling until I got on that site. 
If I had known it was a Scheherazade retelling I would have been first in line at the bookstore to buy it.   


Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo


Yes I actually had no idea that his book existed. None whatsoever. Yet again, here I am glad I read it for some Stockholm syndrome-like reason. Seriously who gave you permission to make your characters so despicable and likable at the same time?



x

Comments

Popular Posts