Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books for Christmas



Ten books to buy this Christmas and who to buy them for


The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer for the people who like retellings but also like spaceships


               Hey that’s a thing. Some people just get bored of the repetitive medieval settings. The Lunar Chronicles really are a unique approach to retellings. Like how Cinderella is a freaking cyborg! 


They aren’t word for word though so if that’s going to bother somebody maybe don’t get these.

Rangers Apprentice by John Flanagan for people who like extremely sassy characters


               Sure the plots aren’t exactly mind boggling but the dialogue! I have spent a good chunk of these stories cracking up at Halt, Will, and Horace’s sass. Mostly Halt though.  
Actually my one complaint about Flanagan’s writing is that his Antagonist are a little . . . dull. At least in comparison to his awesome main characters. They still work just fine they’re just not the most interesting of villains. Still sassy characters, Archery, and lots and lots of coffee. 


What’s not to love?

Lockwood and Co. by Johnathan Stroud for the people who like ghost stories


               Though I might not be the best person to judge that because I’ve hated every other YA ghost story I’ve read. But for some inexplicable reason I adored Lockwood and Co. 


Oh well.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor for the Artist


               The main character is an art major! Which I’ll admit was weird to read about at certain times. Still there was a lot of drawing, dancing, painting and really any creative action which was absolutely beautiful. Also scary monsters. And scarier Angels.

No! not like that! get it away!

The Cry of the Icemarkby Stuart Hill for people who like High Fantasy


               This is another one of those books that I read which are criminally unpopular. This book had a kick-butt Heroine with awesome character development, a boy wizard who can see the future, GIANT FREAKIN SNOW LEOPARDS! 


And an army led by a total psychopath. How is this book not more popular?! It’s lovely. Actually I’m feeling a reread coming on simply so I can review it for the Book Rook.

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab for the musicians


               Granted, I am a musical squib so I’m really not what you would call an “expert”. Still there are plenty of people who actually are musicians who raved about this book and its violin playing, people-eating protagonist.


The Raven boys by Maggie Stiefvater for people who like character driven novels


               There are plot driven novels, character driven novels, setting driven novels, and (in my opinion) plot bunny driven novels. Character driven novels are probably my favorite. I can put up with a lot of stupid plot points or boring settings if there are amazing Characters. The Raven Boys just happens to have AMAZING characters and some pretty cool plots and setting. 
Still for readers who prefer complicated characters the Raven Boys is the perfect book.


The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh for the person who will be the most funny to watch when the cliffhanger hits.


               That cliffhanger! So mean. I’m pretty sure my neighbors heard my screams of agony when I turned the last page. 


So this book may be less of a happy Christmas gift and more of a revenge Christmas gift. ‘Hey guys you remember when you gave me bacon flavored popcorn? Here have this nice book’.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, for the person who watches way too many crime shows


               Which is me. I am that person. I cannot get enough of heists and criminals and Six of Crows has a ton of both. So if somebody you know happens to be binge watching Leverage 


at least you’ve got some Christmas ideas.
 
Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede, for Anyone



               Hey it wouldn’t be a Top Ten Tuesday without me mentioning Dealing with Dragons. 
I’ve said before that I swear I started this blog simply to promote these books. You know those books that just feel timeless? That’s Dealing with Dragons. And it was beautiful.  


Comments

Popular Posts