Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books that came out in 2016 that I didn’t get to for various reason

I don’t get it. Why would I write a Top Ten Tuesday on books that I didn’t even know existed until today? Oh well.

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare


              Full disclosure I’m not sure if I’m ever going to get to this one. Cassandra Clare and I have some issues. I managed to get through City of Bones (the first book in Mortal Instruments) But lost it a couple chapters into the second one City of Ashes. Frankly I found Clary to be an insufferable brat. And the love interest to be kind of a creeper like most YA books. 


I finished the first one because the world building was interesting and the writing was simple and quite enjoyable except for a couple of cringe moments. But the characters ruined it for me. The final straw in the camel’s back was when Clary (who was moping because the love interest turned out to be her brother) decided to have sex with her best friend. Somebody she’d didn’t give a crap about in the first book I might add. 


Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi


              Look at that cover! It’s adorable! And the author specifically said she wrote it because she liked Narnia and the Secret Garden! How did I not know about this book until now? Why doesn’t my library have it? Trick question. It’s because I want it. 


Now I know it’s a middle grade book so it probably won’t be as fantastic as I expect it to be but don’t burst my bubble.

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff


              I have so many mixed feelings about this book. I mean it’s about Assassins! And literally every blogger and every friend on Goodreads agree that it’s awesome! There’s revenge, stabbing and apparently footnotes that hold sarcastic commentary and awesome worldbuilding. Also, there’s a talking cat! I’m a sucker for talking cats.


 Except they also complain about how the plot is derailed for sex scenes halfway through the book. Ew. Come on guys is that really necessary.

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake


              There’s three sisters, triplets who are all in line for the throne. And apparently, there’s going to be a lot of stabbing. Okay I don’t know a lot about this one. But in my defense, nobody else does either! But everybody wants to read for some reason. 


So what they hay! Everybody on the bandwagon let’s see if this thing is worth all the hype. If I can find it.

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton


              After the Wrath and the Dawn I’m so onboard with another book involving the Arabian nights. And this is an Aladdin retelling! No chance of a Robin Williams cameo? 


Nope because apparently, the genie is a chick. Okie dokie I can work with this.

Heartless by Marissa Meyer


              I just feel vaguely like I should finish Winter before I pick up her next book. For the record, I had every intention of reading it over Christmas break. But then Half-Price Books happened and 


well my TBR pile got a lot bigger.

A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess


              This is another one that I know practically nothing about. But it sounds great! I guess. Okay so a lot of people have mixed feelings for the book. 


But I’m still interested. Despite the special snowflake potential.

The Shadow Hour by Melissa Grey


              I’m not sure about this one either. The Midnight Girl and I had issues 


but at least enjoyed it while I was reading it. But I’m not sure if the same could be said for the second one. Still if I find it, I’ll at least consider picking it up.

Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerill


              I had every intention of getting this book. It was a fantastical setting with a female character that seemed strong and competent. It made me extremely excited. But . . . Several of the people I follow declared it cliché, overdone, and dull. So now I’m on the fence.


On one hand I'm rarely as annoyed at cliches as everbody else. On the other hand I only have so much time to read these days and I'd rather not spend time reading something that I'll predict from page one.

Ruined by Amy Tintera



              This one is not my fault! I have two libraries guys. Two! And neither one can manage to get this book. Not my fault. Nope. 


Comments

Popular Posts