Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Authors from my Childhood


Top Ten Authors from my Childhood


              Shockingly I don’t really pay all that much attention to author’s these days. Sure, if a book is really, really good I’ll file the person’s name down somewhere but otherwise . . . eh. I know it’s wired and all but it’s true. However, when I was a kid I read the same books by the same authors over and over again because, let’s admit it I wasn’t very good at moving on.  So, since I’m author blind these days here we go. On a side not I will try to link the authors to their page on Goodreads but if they don't have one I'll just direct you to one of their books.


I know she’s obvious which is why she’s at the very beginning. But what can I say? I literally grew up during the Harry Potter craze. In fact, my family and I read these together, we’d all gather together in the living room and Dad would read them aloud to us. It was amazing. So yeah J. K. Rowling literally my childhood.


Y’all need to know about this series called Deltora. They were like tiny, middle grade Lord of the Rings. Seriously! There was a Dark Lord dude and a chosen hero 


and all these awesome riddles and puzzles all of which I remember because they exploded little Kat’s mind. I’m not kidding! There’s a riddle from these books that I bust out every time I get the chance. Yet I haven’t found a lot of people who have read which is a real shame.


I’ll admit the last two or three books were a little . . . weird. Still the first ones were awesome! Sure, there’s a good bit of special snowflakes going on (are you seeing a pattern here yet?) and probably a bit of cheesiness but I personally liked the worlds, the magic, the characters and again the puzzles. Fun fact John Peel wrote some of the classic Doctor Who episodes. Who’d-a-thunk he’d start writing fantasy books for children.


Two Princesses of Bamarre was my favorite for at least four months! I finished this book, then immediately reread. Like I mean read last page, flipped back, began first page. I know she’s famous for Ella Enchanted which I totally get but I always preferred this one. The sisterly love, Addie’s shyness and artistry, Meryl’s brashness and boldness the freakin’ dragon! I loved it.


Who doesn’t like the Knights of the Round Table? As a kid I loved King Arthur and Gerald Morris told these stories and legends in a funny and interesting way. Kind of the way Disney told fairytales or Percy Jackson told myths. It helped that there were fairies and wizards and dragons and giants!


I do like this lady but I also have to question who let me read these books as a kid? Not that I can blame my parents, they couldn’t keep up with all the things I read. I moved up to the teen section of the library at ten? Eleven? Because the child’s section couldn’t keep my attention. Then came the Lioness Quartet which was about a girl who disguised herself as a boy to become a knight. There was magic, monsters and a really sassy black cat. 


Also a lot of “adult content”. Seriously. I went back an reread these books as a teenager and was shocked at the . . . PG13 stuff. Woops.


Two words. Dragons Slippers. Most unexpectedly awesome books ever! A girl who sews, a dragon who collects stained glass windows, an adorable little romance and magic shoes. I love this book! The characters were so sweet and on the higher end of the middle grade spectrum. But they’re still in the middle grade area, there’s good and evil and it’s clear who is who so it’s not as deep as some people might like. Still It’s clever, clean and simple fun.


Her book the Goose Girl was what really hooked me. Despite the fact that the real Goose Girl fairytale is completely messed up. If I recall correctly the antagonist ends up either stuck in a barrel full of nails and rolled down the road until she dies or forced to dance in red hot iron shoes until, again, she dies. Hale’s version was, I think, more child friendly. Like Gail Carson Levine I know Hale is best known for her Princess Academy book but I found it a bit boring as a kid. The Goose Girls tales of elemental magic and speaking with animals coupled with, I believe, a royal coup d’état was much more interesting.  


Another author that I read when I was way too young to be reading. In fact, if I’m remembering correctly Graceling was quite violent featuring morbid execution and sharp fighting that was realistic in that it talked a good bit about broken bones. I guess teeny bopper Kat was less squeamish then kinda-sorta-not-really-adult Kat. Still the world and characters were lovely and you must admit that the magic system was unique if a bit nonsensical.




The king of childhood story’s!  I have lost count of how many times I have read Narnia and even though the movies aren’t perfect they’re just as capable of making me bawl like a baby on a regular basis. There’s really nothing else to it. If you haven’t read these books through at least once you have certainly missed out and I will personally fight anybody who said otherwise. 


Thanks for putting up with my confused ramblings. And thanks again to the ladies at the Broke and the Bookish for starting Top Ten Tuesdays you can check them out here if you're interested. 

Comments

Popular Posts