Top Ten Tuesday: Scary books on my TBR list




Scary books on my TBR. 
Well I assume they're scary. I haven't actually read them so . . . there are some assumptions being made. Still I've always been a sucker for a good ghost story and I've been stockpiling them on goodreads since I started.  So basically I am very pleased with this topic. 

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff



               I actually have this one right now! 



I found it at the library and the blurb promised creepy fairies and gosh that cover. It made me want to run screaming for the hills. I’m not entirely sure if it can actually count as a ‘Halloween book’ per se but again look at the cover! If it isn’t scary I will argue that I was not to be blamed to the ends of the earth.



Lockwood and co. by Johnathan Stroud



               I am using this one to complain about my library again. There are roughly five books out in this series. I have read the first two (because those are the ones they had). I get into the library the other day and see with great delight that they’ve gotten a new Johnathan Stroud book. What is it?  The Creeping Shadow! 



A.K.A. the fourth book in the series. They just decided to skip the third book for some reason I guess. Anyway rant over. Lockwood and Co. is a pretty underappreciated series that features ghosts in London and really sassy characters. Basically go out and get them they are wonderful.

go! shoo!

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson



               I really don’t know a whole lot about this one other than that it’s got several glowing reviews on goodreads and several of my other friends have expressed some interest. The blurb promises ghosts and London and possibly Jack the Ripper back from the dead so . . . 



is it weird that I find that interesting? Now that I’ve written it down that sounds mildly psychopath-y.

Secret of Ghosts by Mardi Orlando



               This is another goodreads suggestion. I have a slightly unhealthy obsession with goodreads. 



Somebody should have warned me that this sight was worse than Pinterest! Again I don’t know too much about it but there were whispers of ghost children and a creepy church so there is that.

The Ghost in the Glass House by Carey Wallace



               I saw this in a bookstore, totally cover judged it, and have gazed longingly at it whenever I see it. Online, at the store, not at the library. Still it seems to be set up as half ghost story, half romance which mildly puts me off but . . . If the romance is with a ghost maybe I will for once like it. Yeah that makes total sense.



Asylum by Madeleine Roux



               This is kind of a strange choice for me because it’s supposed to be like the book Mrs. Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and frankly I couldn’t really get into it. I found the main character to be a bit of a jerk and that was back when I didn’t have really any reason to stick with books that I didn’t like so . . . yeah I never finished it. 

So this is a tentative baby step in the direction of maybe trying it again.

Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff



               I am very ashamed. I cover judged this one . . . so hard. I took one look at it, while I was getting The Replacement no less, and thought that it looked like a terrible romance story. 



Then lo and behold! Goodreads must have been reading my mind because when I got home it popped up as a suggestion. The story is that a girl’s best friend died (but she was probably murdered) and now her ghost is pushing her to solve a string of murders that are happening in her town. Basically there is much regret.

The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco



               Imagine this. The ghost of a girl who was killed three hundred years ago haunts the streets scaring and killing other child murders like her. So vigilante ghost! 



Not going to see that in the next marvel movie are we? Several blogs I know have reviewed this and I have fangirled over it from afar because it looks so good!

Croak by Gina Damico



               I’ve got this one too! I’m really excited for this one! How could you not be excited about modern day grim reapers and a teenage girl protagonist who sounds like she could kick butt!

Shutter by Courtney Alameda

(this probably isn't true but it looks like he's waering a top hat. he's a very dapper ghost)

             
  I’ve seen this one at my library before and frankly the cover they have is terrible. It totally put me off and I never really picked it up. But a few well-placed reviews later I learned that it was a ghost story with a cursed group of teenage exorcists who get rid of ghosts with bullets and cameras.



 I’m intrigued if nothing else and since it’s one of the few that I actually know I can get my hands on in a timely fashion. I am very happy.  

So there we go that's my top ten (probably) creepy books that I really, really want to read.  
As usual if you guys like this kind of stuff you should go over to http://www.brokeandbookish.com/ they've got some good stuff and it's the least I can do after they let me use their Top Ten Tuesday. 

Comments

Popular Posts